Sunday, October 13, 2013

Life Lately / New Hair & Products

So, last night I worked until 5pm. I came home, ate a sandwich, attempted to catch up on the tv shows I've been recording for weeks. I ended up falling asleep before 6:30pm, in the middle of a show. Matt woke me up at 9:30pm and I was wide awake, so I played Candy Crush Saga and other stupid games until 2am. Happy Saturday. This about sums up how exciting my life has been lately. I'm getting way too old.

At least, I got to spend some time with Crystal the night before drinking wine around a fire and talking about girly shit.

School and work has been eating up too much of time. I had forgotten how time consuming art and literature classes can be, but it's nice to be reminded why I chose not to major in Fine Art. Every week I'm handed another photo assignment that's due in a week or two, so I'm crapping out 50+ photographs/week for Digital Photography II. Some of them are pretty good, most of them are crap. Children's Literature might be my least favorite class of all time. I have to write a story-based childrens' book by the end of the semester and the proposal for the book is due in just over a week. So far, I have some vague idea regarding a story about a pickle traveling the digestive system, but I'm pretty sure the whole concept sucks. I do not have children, I do not read childrens' books, and I have no idea how to talk to children. Needless to say, I am dreading this assignment. After a solid year of biology classes, my brain keeps trying to integrate science with art and literature. As far as photography goes, it's working out. Children's Lit can pretty much suck it.

Portfolio idea - Anatomical Nudes

Last week, for a lighting assignment, I got to use a strobe set-up for the first time (aside from a shitty part-time job I had at a portrait studio two years ago) and I gave still life work a go.




Based on my work lately, my professor told me to check out Joel Peter Witkin. She pretty much hit the nail on its head. If only I had access to cadavers...


In other, amazing news, I was accepted into the Nursing program. I start mid-January. I think I'm busy now...by next Spring, I will probably want to curl into the fetal position and cry while I fantasize about having a social life.

My sister cut my hair a few weeks back and gave me the hair cut I've been wanting for a couple years now. I hadn't gone for it because Matt just about pulled a toddler-style fit about be having "short" hair. I finally decided to say, "fuck it," and went for it anyway. Matt was able to get over the fact that my hair was a few inches shorter.

Shorter hair = Happier curls

My sister also scored a huge bottle of  blended argan oil (I don't remember which oils it is blended with) for cheap at T.J. Maxx. She was awesome enough to put some in a glass bottle with an eye dropper for me, so I've been using it every time I wash my hair. I usually mix 3-4 drops with Curl Keeper, then apply it to my hair. She suggested rubbing small amounts into my scalp because I am still having problems with flakes. It seems to be helping. This is the first time I have ever used oil in my hair. I've always had some reservations about it because my hair is so fine that I imagined it would make it look like a dirty, greasy mess and my curls would turn to shit. I was wrong. Once I get the brand name from my sister, I'll try to remember to write a review.


Product Review
Because of the general chaos that is my life lately and the laziness it caused, I haven't made flax seed gel since I ran out my last batch about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I did a little research on Naturally Curly and, after reading some reviews, I decided to buy Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel. It's silicone free, but it does contain alcohol. So, it's almost Curly Girl Method-friendly. Since I've never been able to give up hairspray (and therefor alcohol), I figured for $5, I might as well check it out. I have to say that it is definitely five-dollar-good. I used it for the first time this morning after my usual routine of SheaMoisture shampoo and conditioner, argan oil blend & Curl Keeper mixture, and plopped with a Turbie Twist. Since it was the first time I've used this gel, I applied in smallish amounts, in sections, until it felt like there was enough. I used 2-3 quarter sized amounts, but I am pretty sure I could have used less. The gel is pretty thick and sticky and it dried very fast when I diffused my hair, which is a great thing when you have fine hair. Like most gels, this product does make your hair crunchy. So, once it was completely dry, I scrunched some of the crunchiness out and was left with a much nicer, softer hold and was happy with the result.
Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel: Worth every penny.


No comments:

Post a Comment